One of the biggest stories of the wrestling world as of late has been the return of Roman Reigns after it was revealed that his leukemia is in remission. He made the announcement a couple of weeks ago on Raw.

You can see the announcement below:

video

Naturally, this has raised a lot of questions about the legitimacy of the disease, as he returned to WWE after only about 4 months of being away. Reigns discussed this in further detail on a recent documentary that was produced on the WWE Network.

According to the documentary, he was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, or CML for short. CML has a 90% survival rate, which are great odds; however, as a 33-year old with three children, even a 10% chance of not lasting five years is a tough situation to process.

Reigns was on the road and had taken a blood test, which showed suspicious results. The WWE doctors told him they wanted him to take another test and after going to a Raw taping, Dr. Christopher Amann wanted to see him and the indication it was serious.

He was told that the tests showed that his white blood cell count was elevated, and with his history, they couldn’t say for sure, but they believed it was the return of his CML.

Furthermore, The Big Dog has said that his professional focus has shifted from winning titles to showing people that can you can recover from illnesses such as this:

“I’ve got more of a purpose than just being a wrestler, having that character of Roman Reigns” he said. “There’s so much more to me. I can truly connect with people and give them hope, give them a beacon of light for people who are truly in the big fight. It’s not done yet.”

[h/t to Wrestling Observer Newsletter for the transcription]

Editor’s Opinion:

I’m glad that both he and WWE did this documentary. It’s very cool to see someone take a negative such as this and use it as a platform to build awareness and help those who may be in a similar struggle.

What do you think of Roman Reigns and his saga with Leukemia? Leave us a comment below, or post a comment on our Facebook page! Also, be sure to sign up for our newsletter and download our App from your favorite App Store!

MORE IN WRESTLING

  • Fastlane 2019 Preview, Predictions And Thoughts

    Features
  • Popular Indie Star Could Be Heading to WWE

    News
  • Roman Reigns Reveals What Match He Wants at WrestleMania 36

    News
  • Main Event Results – March 7, 2019

    News
  • Rumor: Could FOX Be Ending The WWE’s PG Era?

    News
  • Roman Reigns Explains Why Women Should Main Event WrestleMania 35

    News
  • This Is Amazing. Thirty Year Old Never Before Seen WCW Nintendo Game Discovered

    News
  • RAW’s No Way Jose Is Changing Up His Look

    News
  • Here We Go Again. Two More Former Champions Turn Down WWE Contract Extensions, May Leave Later This Year.

    News
  • Roman Reigns Discusses His Reaction to Dean Ambrose & The Usos Possibly Leaving WWE

    News