Get ready in advance. We are almost done with the year but there are still a few things left to take care of in WWE. That includes knocking out the last edition of SmackDown, which will take place on Christmas night for a change. While that night seem a little harsh, WWE is at least not having the wrestlers work the show live, as it has been taped in advance, with some big things taking place.
WWE is trying to wrap up the year with a bang in the form of a big time card. This time around that is going to mean a trio of title matches, including Kevin Owens challenging Universal Champion Roman Reigns in a cage match and Intercontinental Champion Sami Zayn defending against Big E. in a lumberjack match. Finally the Women’s Tag Team Titles will be on the line with Charlotte and Asuka defending against opponents to be announced. We know what is going to happen in advance this time around.
This week’s edition of WWE SmackDown was taped in advance on Tuesday night instead of airing live on Friday night. The show featured three title matches plus a singles match which was not announced in advance and will air on Christmas night on FOX. There is no word on if the matches will take place in the order listed. Here are the results, courtesy of WrestleZone.com:
* WWE Universal TItle Match: Roman Reigns defeated Kevin Owens after Jey Uso handcuffed Owens to the cage.
* Bayley interrupts Charlotte Flair and Asuka in the ring, followed by Sasha Banks & Bianca Belair coming down. Carmella comes down as well and we have a triple threat elimination match.
* WWE Women’s Tag Team Title Match: Charlotte Flair and Asuka defeated Bayley & Carmella and Sasha Banks & Bianca Belair. Flair pinned Belair to retain the titles after Banks pinned Bayley.
* Sami Zayn gets a shirt from the Street Profitsa that says “I was the Intercontinental Champion” as a Christmas gift.
* Daniel Bryan defeated Jey Uso. Bryan was attacked by Uso before the match, but Bryan came back to win.
* WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Big E. defeated Sami Zayn to win the title. The lumberjacks were all Smackdown stars, plus Angel Garza. E. hit the Big Ending on Zayn to win the titles and got hoisted on the babyfaces’ shoulders to end the show.
Opinion: The main event result doesn’t surprise me but it’s cool to see Big E. getting this kind of a push. At some point WWE needs to move someone up the card and Big E. winning the Intercontinental Title on his own is one of the best ways to start moving him up the ladder. I’m not sure where the rest of the show is going to go, but it’s time to start moving towards the Royal Rumble and that means things are going to pick up in a big way.
What do you think of the show? Which match interests you the most? Let us know in the comments below.
Thomas Hall has been a wrestling fan for over thirty years and has seen over 50,000 wrestling matches. He has also been a wrestling reviewer since 2009 with over 5,000 full shows covered. You can find his work at kbwrestlingreviews.com, or check out his- Amazon author page with 30 wrestling books. Get the latest and greatest in professional wrestling news by signing up for our daily email newsletter. Just look below for “GET EXCLUSIVE UPDATES” to sign up. Thank you for reading!