And off to New York we go. We’re coming up on NXT Takeover: New York but there’s still a little bit of work left to do. You can probably guess what most of the card is going to look like, but with NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa injured, we need a new NXT Champion. That would be taken care of on Wednesday night as things had to be wrapped up for next month’s big show.
NXT was back at Full Sail University on Wednesday night to tape the final episodes of television before Takeover: New York. These three shows will air over the next three weeks, though there is a chance that these shows will air out of order. The tapings include the announcement of what will be happening with the NXT Title, which had to be vacated due to Ciampa’s injury. Here are the results, courtesy of Wrestlinginc.com:
* Triple H opened tonight’s WWE NXT TV tapings from Full Sail University and came out to a huge pop. He announced that he was originally going to announce Johnny Gargano vs. NXT Champion Tommaso Ciampa for “Takeover: New York” but that was scrapped due to Ciampa’s neck injury. Triple H then announced that Johnny Gargano will compete for the NXT Title at Takeover in a 2 of 3 Falls match. He will face the winner of a Fatal 5 Way at tonight’s tapings with Ricochet, Aleister Black, Adam Cole, Matt Riddle and NXT North American Champion The Velveteen Dream
* Adam Cole won a Fatal 5 Way over Ricochet, Aleister Black, Matt Riddle and NXT North American Champion The Velveteen Dream. Cole will now face Johnny Gargano in a 2 of 3 Falls match at “Takeover: New York” for the vacant NXT Title. After the match, The Forgotten Sons attacked Black and Ricochet
* Punishment Martinez defeated Riddick Moss
* Humberto Carrillo defeated Albert Hardie, Jr. (ACH)
* NXT Tag Team Champions The War Raiders squashed two local enhancement talents
* The War Raiders defeated Adrian Jaoude and Cezar Bononi. The War Raiders requested another match after winning the first one
* Jaxson Ryker defeated Oney Lorcan
* Bianca Belair vs. Kairi Sane ends in a No Contest when NXT Women’s Champion Shayna Baszler, Marina Shafir and Jessamyn Duke interfere. Io Shirai makes the save. The rest of the women’s division and officials run down to fill up the ring as the brawl continues. The segment ends with Shirai raising the title in the air
* Raul Mendoza defeated Brennan Williams
* There’s an in-ring face off between Adam Cole and Johnny Gargano to promote the “Takeover: New York” main event for the vacant NXT Title. The Undisputed Era appears on the stage to get Cole’s back and intimidate Gargano
* Vanessa Borne and Aliyah vs. Kacy Catanzaro and Lacey Lane ends when NXT Women’s Champion Shayna Baszler, Marina Shafir and Jessamyn Duke interfere. The heels retreat while the Horsewomen beat Lacey and Kacy down
* Matt Riddle defeated Kona Reeves. NXT North American Champion The Velveteen Dream was out speaking from a couch while two women stood by his side. Dream revealed that he will defend against Riddle at Takeover
* Ricochet and Aleister Black defeated The Forgotten Sons to win the 2019 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, earning a shot at NXT Tag Team Champions The War Raiders for the “Takeover: New York” event. After the match, Black and Ricochet pose with the trophy in the ring. Their match with The War Raiders is confirmed for Takeover as Hanson and Rowe come down for a staredown, holding the titles in Black and Ricochet’s faces. Ricochet and Black talk about how important NXT and Full Sail has been to them, adding that this may be their last Full Sail tapings. They also talk about leaving NXT soon and say they will always be NXT. That’s the end of the tapings.
This could have had something to do with the injury (well maybe). Check out Ciampa’s final actions as NXT Champion:
Opinion: As disappointed as I am to see Ciampa going under the knife and not being able to have the big blowoff with Johnny Gargano, it seems that they’re getting something entertaining enough for Takeover: New York. They should be fine with everything they have coming up and, as usual, I’m sure the Takeover is going to be awesome because, well, they always are.
Which of these stories looks best? What do you expect from Takeover? Let us know in the comments below.
Thomas Hall has been a wrestling fan for over thirty years and has seen over 50,000 wrestling matches. He has also been a wrestling reviewer since 2009 with over 5,000 full shows covered. You can find his work at kbwrestlingreviews.com, or check out his Amazon author page with 28 wrestling books. His latest book is the the Complete 2000 Monday Nitro and Thunder Reviews Part 1.
Get the latest and greatest in professional wrestling news by signing up for our daily email newsletter. Just look below for “GET EXCLUSIVE UPDATES” to sign up. We are proud to offer our popular Wrestling Rumors app and encourage you to download it for an optimized user experience. It is available for Android and also on iOS. Thank you for reading!