The XFL announced yesterday that it was canceling the remainder of the 2020 season, due to the spread of the Coronavirus across the United States. They are following suit along with other major sports organizations across the country who are delaying or canceling their seasons, due to the pandemic.
You can read the full statement from the league below:
Currently, the XFL will not be playing its regular-season games. However, all players will be paid their base pay and benefits for the 2020 regular season. All XFL ticket holders will be issued refunds or credit toward future games. The XFL is committed to playing a full season in 2021 and future years.
Check out some action from last week:
Here is a list of some of the major sports to be delayed, postponed or canceled to due to the scare of the Coronavirus:
- NBA: Suspension of all play for at least 30 days
- NHL: Pausing of the season until further notice
- MLB: Delay of Opening Day for at least 2 weeks
- NCAA: Cancellation of the 2020 March Madness Men’s and Women’s Tournament, along with all winter and spring sports championships
- PGA: Cancellation of the remainder of the Player’s Championship and postponement of the Master’s Tournament
WWE will be hosting Smackdown tonight at their Performance Center, without fans in attendance.
Everyone is going to have their opinion on this issue, including myself. The reality is that the threat of this virus is real and when you have so many major sporting events coming to a grinding halt, you have to do what is in the best interest of the health of the athletes and spectators for the foreseeable future.
What do you think of the XFL canceling the remainder of the 2020 season? Leave us a comment below, or post a comment on our Facebook page! Also, be sure to sign up for our newsletter!