It had been previously reported that former UFC heavyweight champion and WWE superstar Cain Velasquez had been arrested on charges of attempted murder. He pleaded not guilty to these charges in Santa Clara (California) County earlier today.
Velasquez, 40, is being charged with attempted murder and 10 other gun-related charges stemming from an incident where he allegedly chased down a man, Harry Goularte — who is being charged with molesting a young relative of Velasquez — and shooting a gun into Goularte’s vehicle, hitting Goularte’s stepfather, Paul Bender. Velasquez has been in jail since Feb. 28 and has been denied bail on three separate occasions.
A pre-trial hearing in the case is scheduled for Sept. 26, where Geragos is expecting to be able to get witnesses to testify, the attorney said. If the case is not dismissed at that point, he said, it would then go to trial, which could begin before the end of the year.
Geragos said the prosecution will not be calling Goularte to testify
at the pre-trial hearing or at trial, which he called “nonsense.” There will be a motion hearing Aug. 29 to discuss whether Goularte not being a witness is fair to Velasquez. Geragos said the one count Velasquez is facing that could get him life in prison is attempted murder and Goularte is the alleged victim of said charge.
We will continue to monitor this story and provide updates as they are made available to us.
“GET EXCLUSIVE UPDATES! Click here to sign up for the exclusive Wrestling Rumors daily newsletter, delivered right to your inbox.”