As we previously reported, WWE announced that Roman Reigns underwent emergency surgery for an incarcerated hernia on Saturday, Sept. 20. He will miss the “Night of Champions” pay-per-view, where he was slated to face Seth Rollins.
WWE advertised a health update on Roman Reigns for 1 p.m. EST, but it would be delayed until about 2:30 p.m. EST. Reports soon surfaced that a backup plan for Reigns’ injury fell through.
In the live WWE Network health update of Roman Reigns, Scott Stanford spoke to Dr. Chris Amann. Before speaking to Amann, Stanford revealed that the surgery was a success, and Reigns will stay overnight in the Nashville hospital, as he recovers.
Amann then joined Stanford, saying Reigns is resting comfortably in the hospital. The hernia injury was not brought on in the ring, and began when Reigns was in his hotel on the morning of Saturday, Sept. 20. He had intense abdominal pain, causing him to reach out to the WWE medical staff. It was then determined for him to go to the hospital, where the emergency surgery for the incarcerated hernia occurred.
The operating surgeon told Amann that it was a very large hernia. For Reigns, the best-case recovery time would be in the range of 4-6 weeks. Another timetable thrown out by Amann was 8-12 weeks. Reigns’ road to recovery will not be aided by his tremendous physical stature, as his tissue simply has to heal on its own. Before returning to the ring, Reigns’ tissue will have to heal. In closing, Amann said that WWE will not rush Reigns back to the ring, and operate very cautiously.
WWE is desperately missing main event stars as it is. This only makes things worse. Guys like Bad News Barrett and Daniel Bryan may be returning in the coming months, but not anytime soon. With WWE in ruins, perhaps a main event spot is there for the taking, and a hungry “Big Guy” will have to go out there and feast upon it.